• To provide a wide range of Agricultural Biotechnological education with a commitment to excellence in teaching and research responsive to regional and national needs.
• To develop a new class Agricultural Biotechnology with art of management, knowledge and competence.
• Strengthening of basic and applied research and human resource capacity building in the frontier areas of Agricultural Biotechnology
• To impart scientific and technical knowledge to the students in the field of Agriculture, Biochemistry, Microbiology and Environmental Biotechnology, Bioinformatics, Food Biotechnology, Immunology, Genetics , Genetic Engineering, Enzyme Technology, Molecular Biology and Animal Biotechnology as well as Management of Hi-tech Agriculture.
• To provide comprehensive and effective training to the students in the application of Biotechnological skills in the field of Agriculture and Animal Science for the benefit of the society.
• Conduct of research by the faculty members and students in Agricultural biotechnology for the benefit of the end users
• To transfer the agricultural biotechnological recommendation to the farmers fields.
WHAT IS BIOTECHNOLOGY?
The wide concept of "biotech" or "biotechnology" encompasses a wide range of procedures for modifying living organisms according to human purposes, going back to domestication of animals, cultivation of the plants, and "improvements" to these through breeding programs that employ artificial selection and hybridization. Modern usage also includes genetic engineering as well as cell and tissue culture technologies. The American Chemical Society defines biotechnology as the application of biological organisms, systems, or processes by various industries to learning about the science of life and the improvement of the value of materials and organisms such as pharmaceuticals, crops, and livestock. As per European Federation of Biotechnology, biotechnology is the integration of natural science and organisms, cells, parts thereof, and molecular analogues for products and services. Biotechnology also writes on the pure biological sciences (animal cell culture, biochemistry, cell biology, embryology, genetics, microbiology, and molecular biology).
APPLICATION OF BIOTECH. IN AGRICULTURE & OTHER FIELDS
There are myriad applications of biotechnology in agriculture such as:
- Generation of transgenic crops, animals, agro-forestry plants, microbes with improved traits.
- DNA-based diagnostics to monitor, control, manage, eradicate pests and pathogens of crops, farm animals and fish.
- Biotech-derived drugs, antibiotics and vaccines for animal husbandry and fisheries.
- Monitoring and Assessment of bio-resource diversity.
- Plant tissue culture for large-scale multiplication of elite/disease-free planting material.
- Embryo culture, transfer and cloning technology for animal breeding.
- Functional Genomics, Proteomics and Bioinformatics.
- Post harvest and food processing.
Biotechnologists can get the jobs in the sectors, Central government Research and educational institutes, Agricultural Universities, States department of agriculture, Zillah parishad, Private Sector Seed, pesticide Fungicide, Bio-fertilizer, Banking Sector: Cooperative and Nationalized banks as agricultural officer, Private Agricultural and Agri-Biotechnology Colleges, Plant Tissue culture laboratories, Post harvest and food processing industries, Pharma Industries, Animal biotechnology Industries Institutes, Medical Biotechnology Industries/ Institutes
Career in Private sector after B.Tech in Biotechnology
B.Tech Biotechnology graduates can apply for jobs in various pharmaceutical companies. Some of those companies are Dabur, Hindustan lever, Cipla, Rossari Biotech India Pvt. Ltd and Hindustan antibiotics. They can work in these companies as Marketing Manager, Quality Control officer or Production in-charge. Several other companies also provide jobs for these graduates. Companies like Southern Petrochemical Industries Corporation Ltd and Godrej possess a biotechnology division where a lot of job opportunities are available for these graduates. They can also look up for jobs in IT field. It is better to do any software or networking courses before applying for jobs in this field. They can work as a software developer or a web developer in any software company. They can also join HCL in the networking section.
Government Career after B.Tech in Biotechnology
B.Tech graduates can apply for jobs in several Government Research Institutes. Some of those Institutes are Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB), National Brain Research Centre and National Institute of Oceanography. They can work as a Research Scientist in these Institutes. They can also apply for lecture post in various Government Institutions. One of those Institutions is National Institute of Technology, Calicut. Candidates applying for lecture post in this Institute should have an excellent background in the field of Genetics and Molecular Biology. Several government exams are conducted by different government organisations to recruit these graduates to various government posts. Some of those exams are given below.
- Civil services exam for the posts like IFS, IAS, IPS
- Combined Defense Service exam for Army, Navy and Air force
- SSC Combined Graduate Level Exams
B.Tech Biotechnology graduates can also apply for Bank probationary exams if they wish to pursue their career in banking sector.
Career Abroad after B.Tech in Biotechnology
There are wide opportunities available for B.Tech Biotechnology graduates in foreign countries than India. But they need to gain experience in this field before applying for jobs in foreign countries. They can get jobs in various laboratories, pharmaceutical companies and agriculture oriented companies in foreign countries.
Long term Career roadmap for B.Tech in Biotechnology
Biotechnology field is one of the highly paid fields in India and abroad. B.Tech Biotechnology graduates can find a promising career in this field. Even though their starting salary will be less, they can gain a higher salary according to their experience.
Highly promising area in this field is Research. These graduates can find a long term job in this area.